A sense of fairytale!
The history of the city
Nafplio or Anapli is the capital of the prefecture of Argolis in Peloponnese region. It is a city with a great historical and cultural tradition. According to mythology, Nafplio was built by Nafplio, son of Poseidon and Amymon. During the Mycenaean period the city was one of the most powerful seaport cities - states of Greece. Until the 7th century BC the city was autonomous and then conquered by Argos. In the 10th century after the invasion of the Arabs it was completely destroyed, but a century later it emerged again as an important trading center. After a century, the city was occupied by the Venetians and in 1540 by the Turks, then again by the Venetians and in 1715 by the Turks once again and finally liberated in 1822 at the end of the revolution. Nafplio consists of the old and new city. The new city has the characteristics of a modern city with big streets, blocks of flats and shops. The old city’s ambiance is traditional along with neoclassical buildings and narrow streets.